Monday 29 July 2013

Lord of the Rings Project Update - A Batrep (of sorts)

Well its been a while since I updated my LoTR project progress and things are moving on a pace (which is nice!). I managed to have my first game of SBG the other day (its only been 8 years) and have to say it was a blast. Sadly there are no pictures as none of the models were painted however we played out a very basic “try to kill the Hobbits” type of scenario. Both Aragorn and the four Hobbits are travelling through the wild after fleeing the Nine at Bree, and during a spate of appalling whether are assaulted by a force of Goblins and a Cave Troll who have felt the draw of the One Ring.

The players were Me for the Evil side and “throwback to the Victorian Age” Chris for the Good side. The point’s values were completely out of whack however we played for fun and the story telling aspect.

Good
Aragorn (without armour or Anduril, after all he hasn’t got it yet!)
Frodo
Sam
Merry
Pippin

Evil 
Moria Goblin Captain
10 x Moria Goblins with Spears
10 x Moria Goblins with Shields
10 x Moria Goblins with Bows
Cave Troll

The board had scattered rocks around the edges, a small wood and an old hayfield in the centre where the good side deployed (caught unawares Aragorn sends the Hobbits to take cover in the tall grass!). The Goblins were scattered around all sides of the board, converging on the Hobbits with evil intent (they are Goblins after all!).

So what happened? Well I could write a full AAR/Batrep however it would take forever, be pretty dull and without images wouldn’t explain the action very well. So here are the events in a nutshell:

Hobbits take cover in tall grass while Aragorn advances on the Cave Troll
Goblins advance from all sides, firing bows and killing (knocking unconscious!) Pippin
Aragorn obliterates Cave Troll, 6 Goblins and the Goblin captain
Merry holds off 3 Goblins in the tall grass, Sam and Frodo defend a wall that surrounds the field
The Goblins take courage tests, generally failing them quite predictably.

At this point I conceded as its clear that:
  1. Aragorn is a TANK
  2. My Goblins can’t take down the Hobbits without more numbers in attack.
  3. Never attack piecemeal. The Goblins were arriving in stages and being defeated each time. This gave Aragorn time to whittle down the enemy enough to cause courage tests, and with a courage of 2 I was never gonna pass enough to have enough forces to win.

So what’s next. Well I have a germ of an idea forming in my mind of a small campaign book (argh, that means I’ll have to write it!) centred around the burning of the westfold and culminating in the Battle of Helms Deep. It will focus primarily on the action described in the book, the appendices and Unfinished Tales. Forces to be included will obviously be Rohan and Isengard along with the Men of Dunland and the villagers of the westfold (I need a statline!).

I’m aiming to collect up all models for each scenario that I’ll write so I can play it out with whoever wants to play. Luckily I’ve got a few guys at the club interested so it shouldn’t be too much trouble.

So where am I up to? Well I have some Oathsworn Militia, about 30 Rohirrim, 40 Uruks and a few MDF buildings for the villages. Just need the rest of the dramatis personae now. I may have to get some of the excellent Gripping Beast Dark Age warriors for my villagers as they’ll double up for my SAGA and WAB forces.

Has anyone else noticed that projects tend to get bigger and harder once you start them?

NOTE: Pippin can’t die in a game as he’s one of the heroes. Being naturally a cheery chap I tend to see my good forces fall unconscious from the enemies blows and then be subsequently rescued by their comrades. The baddies can obviously fall to the heroes!




2 comments:

  1. Fun sounding game.

    Yep projects have a habit of spiralling... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers mate
      I've managed to drag a few other members of our club into it so I'll be able to get some more practice and a few more Batreps in soon.

      Delete